May is Historic Preservation Month, a time to remember, preserve, honor and visit places with historical significance. Many of Arlington's historic sites are in Downtown and have earned Texas Historical Markers or are designated City landmarks.
Arlington has two historic districts. Both are in the National Register of Historic Places.
The Old Town Historic District includes nearly seven blocks of late 19th and early 20th century homes. It's located at the northern end of the Original Town Plat. Its boundaries generally follow Sanford, North, Elm, and Oak streets.
The South Center Street Historic District includes a row of Craftsman-inspired bungalows. Located in the 500 and 600 blocks of South Center Street, these homes represent the finest group of early 20th century bungalows remaining in Arlington.
In Downtown Arlington, there are numerous historic sites and buildings you can visit, including:
Knapp Heritage Park, 201 W. Front St.
Knapp Heritage Park contains three of the oldest structures in Arlington. It includes two cabins from the mid-1800s and a 1910 schoolhouse.
First Baptist Church of Arlington, 301 S. Center St.
The First Baptist Church of Arlington began in the 1870s at Johnson Station. When the railroad arrived north of there in 1876, the church moved into the new area. Fire destroyed the original sanctuary, but the church would rebuild.
First United Methodist Church of Arlington, 313 N. Center St.
The First United Methodist Church of Arlington began as a wooden church in 1885. Today, it has over 5,000 members. It's a United Methodist Historic Site, is a designated City Landmark, and has earned a Texas Historical Marker.
Vandergriff Building, 255 N. Center St.
One of the oldest remaining commercial structures in Arlington is the historic Vandergriff Building. Built in 1928, it is near the center of the city's original boundaries. The building is a City Landmark and is included on the National Register of Historic Places.
Worthington National Bank, 200 W. Main St.
Worthington National Bank is another City Landmark. Built in 1939, it served as the City of Arlington Post Office until 1964. The building was restored in 2001 and became a bank.
Arlington Music Hall, 224 N. Center St.
Arlington Music Hall opened in 1950 as a movie theater and is used as a performance venue today. Click here for more about its history.
University of Texas at Arlington, 701 S. Nedderman Dr.
The University of Texas at Arlington was founded in 1895 as Arlington College. Since then, the school evolved and changed names several times over the years until it joined the University of Texas System in 1965. Many of the buildings on campus are historic, and some are more than 100 years old including Ransom Hall which dates to 1919.
Arlington World War II Memorial, City Center Plaza
A new bronze and granite World War II memorial, dedicated this month by the City of Arlington and the Arlington Historical Society, salutes the sacrifices made by Arlington citizens as well as the students, alumni and faculty members of North Texas Agricultural College (now the University of Texas at Arlington) who answered the nation’s call to arms during the war.
Shared in partnership with the City of Arlington.
Mentioned in this Post