Founded by American Express in 2010 and officially co-sponsored by the U.S. Small Business Administration since 2011, Small Business Saturday has become an important part of small businesses’ busiest shopping season. The antithesis to Black Friday and Cyber Monday, Small Business Saturday is a day designed to support small, independent and local businesses and all they do for their communities.
This strategy has been hugely successful. In 2012, an estimated $5.5 billion was spent at small businesses nationwide. According to the 2020 Small Business Saturday Consumer Insights Survey commissioned by American Express, annual spending among U.S. consumers who shopped at independent retailers and restaurants on Small Business Saturday has reached an estimated $19.8 billion. The survey also found that 97% of shoppers recognized the positive impact they can make by shopping small and 85% of them reported they also encouraged friends and family to #ShopSmall as well.
This year, small businesses need our support more than ever as they continue to navigate and retool from the effects of the coronavirus pandemic. Here in Downtown Arlington, we’re on the small business bandwagon 365 days a year, not just on Small Business Saturday. Still, Small Business Saturday is an opportunity to shine a big, bright spotlight on all of our businesses and tell them how much we appreciate them.
Won’t you join us? We can’t think of a better way than to help others discover all the delicious food and fare, talents, and curated collections available in the restaurants, shops, and service providers that make up our Downtown small business community.
For your gift-giving inspiration, here are just ten ideas for sharing your hometown pride with family, friends and colleagues:
Ten Ideas for Shopping Small - and Local! - in Downtown Arlington
- Invest in original pieces of art. As the folks at Create Arlington and Catalyst Creative Arts remind us, there are no shipping delays when you buy from local artists!
- For the ultimate in DIY gift-giving, sign up for a wordworking workshop at Board & Brush.
- There are two more chances to shop for local specialty items at the Downtown Arlington Urban Market between now and Christmas.
- Girls go crazy for a sharp dressed man. The Man’s Shop. Period.
- Girls also go crazy for the women’s clothing, accessories and gift items at Wildfire and Lace.
- Everyone goes crazy for a night out on the town. How about tickets to see the next show at Arlington Music Hall, Arlington Museum of Art, or advance tickets for Theatre Arlington’s 2022 season? Also see #8.
- Who doesn’t need a little pampering? While you’re picking up gift cards from our upscale spas, barbershops and salons, maybe get an extra one for yourself.
- For the UTA Maverick in your life: tickets to see the next big game at College Park Center or a gift certificate to shop for a new UT Arlington sweatshirt at the UTA Bookstore (they have some seriously cool merch).
- Inspirations Catering offers some truly special culinary gift items for your favorite foodie.
- Finally, tell Santa to bring your favorite foodie a selection of gift cards from Downtown’s growing number of one-of-a-kind restaurants and pubs.
Discover all that Downtown Arlington has to offer by visiting downtownarlington.org/visit.