Downtown Arlington and its governing board have the privilege to care for the long-term vitality of the historic and cultural heart of our city. From our arts organizations to our restaurants, from start-ups to salons, from retail shops to professional services, this is our community.
For most of us, COVID-19 (novel coronavirus) is the first challenge of its kind in our lives. During this unprecedented time, it is critical that we care for each other by caring for ourselves. The first priority for everyone is to take appropriate steps to stay well, limit the spread of COVID-19, and ensure our entire community remains healthy.
Downtown Arlington COVID-19 Strategy
Like you, we are monitoring and responding to all current recommendations from government and health officials about COVID-19. For Downtown Arlington, that means working with our many stakeholders including our BID (Business Improvement District) members, visitors, students, and residents in three important ways:
- Maintain an on-going commitment to enhancing our body of knowledge of COVID-19
- Empower our stakeholders by sharing industry and public health best-practices
- Keep Downtown Arlington top of mind as a resource for residents and visitors
Caring for Our Residents and Visitors
The concept of “social distancing” – which has resulted in extreme restrictions on public gatherings, workplace norms, and mobility – is understood to be a critical factor in lessening the impact of COVID-19. As a result, venues with any kind of gathering space have been forced to close temporarily or rethink their daily operations. These restrictions, while necessary, have already begun having a negative impact on the short-term economic vitality of Downtown Arlington, not to mention the devastating impact on individual owners and employees.
Those venues that remain open – such as restaurants, stores, and bars – continue to vigilantly ensure their spaces are clean and safe for their customers. We encourage you to patronize them whenever possible in the following ways:
- Shop online with Downtown retailers including Wildfire and Lace, Collected Treasures, H.E. Cannon Floral, The Man’s Shop, and the UTA Bookstore.
- Call ahead or order food for carry out or curbside pick-up, a practice endorsed by the Texas Restaurant Association.
- Order food for delivery. Be sure you tip the same amount as you would when dining in. For a handy directory of options, visit our Downtown Delivers page.
- Ask your shop owner if purchasing gift cards is a helpful option. Keep in mind that with some third-party gift card vendors, the local store doesn’t receive proceeds from the gift card until the card is used.
- During your visit, please follow the guidance from public health officials regarding social distancing and proper hygiene practices as recommended by the CDC.
Caring for Our Businesses
If your business or non-profit is located in Downtown, we are steadfastly committed to the health and safety of your employees and customers and the longevity of your enterprise. We believe the best way forward is through collaboration:
- To facilitate communication, Downtown Arlington hosts a private Facebook group that encourages resource-sharing and open discussion. We look forward to activating ideas that are generated through brainstorming in this group. For business owners and operators interested in joining this group, please email email@example.com.
- Share your ideas directly with Katie Gosa, BID Services and Communications Manager and Maggie Campbell, President and CEO.
- We’re building an online library of COVID-19 information and response resources specifically for Downtown businesses. We’ll continue to add to this listing in the weeks ahead.
Throughout this time, our commitment to our BID members and Downtown community is to listen, help you access available resources, work together, advocate on your behalf, and begin preparing now to support recovery in Downtown.
Thank you for continuing to support our vision for Downtown Arlington as the special place in our City where creativity, authenticity, and hometown pride thrive and drive what’s next.
Mentioned in this Post