Authentically Arlington / City / Cultural Arts / Downtown Outdoors / Entertainment / Events / Transportation & Mobility / History
May 18, 2021
Memorial Day Weekend 2021: Top Ten Things to Do in Downtown Arlington
Memorial Day is the unofficial start of summer, and Downtown Arlington is the perfect place to celebrate! Live music, inspiring art, professional sports, places to gather around the table with family and friends, and memories in the making. We’ve put together our top ten guide of things to do during Memorial Day Weekend 2021 in Downtown Arlington.
Because Memorial Day is, first and foremost, a time for commemoration and gratitude, let’s begin our list with a new destination in Downtown that reflects, remembers and honors those from Arlington who died while serving in the U.S. military during World War II.
- Visit the new Arlington World War II Memorial. This new bronze and granite World War II memorial honors the 50 Arlington men who lost their lives on international battlefields between 1941 and 1945; the contributions of North Texas Agricultural College (UTA) during the war; and a statue of Col. Neel Kearby, the only World War II Medal of Honor recipient from Arlington. City Center Plaza, 24/7.
- Be there for the opening of 30 Americans at the Arlington Museum of Art. Curated by the renowned Rubell Museum in Miami, FL, this amazing collection of art includes works by artists including Jean-Michel Basquiat, Mickalene Thomas, Kara Walker, Carrie Mae Weems, and Kehinde Wiley. While some pieces probe the notion of racial and social difference in a candid manner, others evoke universal concepts and emotions using a sophisticated blend of visual beauty, wit and irony. Opens May 29.
- Spend Memorial Day Weekend at the Levitt. Live! Outdoors! Free! What better place to come together in Downtown Arlington than the Levitt Pavilion. On Memorial Day Weekend, the music is non-stop, featuring the Tejas Brothers with Carlos Ramos on Friday; The Drifters with Kirk Thurmond on Saturday; and William Beckmann with Brad Russell Band on Sunday. May 28-30.
- Keep those toes tapping at the Hall. The Arlington Music Hall has a rich history and always been one of DFW’s gems for live entertainment. Opening in 1950 as a movie theatre, the Hall retains that mid-century look on the outside and boasts a modern concert experience on the inside. Discover for yourself on Memorial Day Weekend: Mo Pitney takes the stage on Thursday and Wynonna and the Big Noise headline on Friday. May 27-28.
- Venue-hop for more live music. Let’s keep the music going! Downtown Arlington has over ten small live music venues within the two-mile radius of our Cultural District. Ready to discover them all? Memorial Day Weekend is a great time to start.
- Get into Downtown’s coffee culture. What’s the perfect accompaniment to any and every day? The perfect cup of iced coffee. While there are several locations of chain restaurants (also delicious) in Downtown Arlington, we’d like to introduce you to those with that little something extra: local flavor. Check out our Downtown coffee shop and roastery guide.
- WNBA fans rejoice: the season’s just getting started! Get your courtside seats now for the Memorial Day Weekend match up in College Park Center as our own Dallas Wings take on the Phoenix Mercury. Single game and season tickets are available. May 29 at 7:00 p.m.
- What’s hot in Urban Union. Downtown Arlington’s fastest-growing neighborhood, Urban Union, offers an eclectic mix of things to do, people to see, great food to eat, and really great drinks to enjoy with friends! On Memorial Day Weekend, think axe throwing and rock climbing; or gourmet pizza and locally brewed craft beer; or drinks at a tiki bar and a crafting workshop; or coffee and comic books; or…
- Take RAPID for a ride. The Arlington RAPID pilot program, which provides rides throughout Downtown and the University of Texas at Arlington, is the first such program in the United States to integrate on-demand autonomous vehicles into its public transportation system. RAPID (Rideshare, Automation, and Payment Integration Demonstration) employs a fleet of five self-driving vehicles, including one that’s wheelchair-accessible. Use the Via app or call 817-784-7382.
- Dive in to local history. May is Historic Preservation Month, and many of Arlington's historic sites are in Downtown and have earned Texas Historical Markers or are designated City landmarks. Click here for a list of destinations to inspire your own self-guided tour.
About Downtown Arlington
Designated by the State of Texas as the Arlington Cultural District, Downtown Arlington is where creativity, authenticity, and hometown pride thrive and drive what's next. Within its less than a two-mile radius, Downtown is home to a top tier public research university, prolific visual and performing artists and arts institutions, live entertainment, exciting NCAA and professional athletics, one-of-a-kind dining and retail, and a supportive business climate. Stay in the know by subscribing to our e-newsletter and by following us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and Instagram.
Feature image: Levitt Pavilion, May 2021