Texans don’t mind a little steamy summer heat. We just head to the lake or pop open the patio umbrella. Still, if you want a break from triple-digit temperatures, we know just the place: Downtown Arlington! From world-class art to toe-tapping music, the Arlington Cultural District is a summer destination you and your kids will want to visit again and again. Here are just ten of the reasons why:
- Get inspired by pop art icon Keith Haring at the Arlington Museum of Art. A collection of fifty original works, this exhibition is exclusive to Arlington and is expected to draw visitors from around the globe.
- Looking for other interesting exhibits to explore? We love the story of Comic Book History in Mexico, now on display at the University of Texas at Arlington’s Central Library alongside a fun look at history through the eyes of UTA’s award-winning student newspaper, The Story of Century: 100 Years of the Shorthorn.
- The Downtown Arlington Library turns one this summer! If you aren’t already, you and your kids will get hooked on their hands-on makerspaces, resources, special events and learning experiences offered year-round.
- Busy hands are happy hands whether you’re a kid or an adult. In addition to all the Library has to offer, check out the creative workshops, camps and classes offered throughout the summer in Downtown at venues including Upstairs Gallery, Sparks Studio, Legal Draft Beer Co., Urban Alchemy Coffee + Wine Bar, and Board & Brush Creative Studio.
- When the sun goes down, we’ve got three great reasons to keep your beach blankets and folding chairs handy: the Levitt Pavilion summer concert series, Levitt’s Family Movie Night and EXCEL’s Summer Movie Series at UT Arlington.
- Speaking of entertainment under the stars, the UTA Planetarium not only offers respite from the heat of the day but captivating and educational shows about our wondrous solar system. Shows offered daily.
- While you should never run with scissors, the folks at Lone Star Axe Throwing will teach you and your kids how to safely experience – and get hooked on – the sport of axe-throwing.
- Feel the excitement of the WNBA when the Dallas Wings play College Park Center, their home court in the heart of Downtown Arlington.
- Show your kids how to kick it old school at Free Play Arlington. For one low admission price, you can play over and over on more than 100 retro arcade games and pinball. No quarters necessary! Be sure to ask ‘em about their Summer Nights Card.
- Get your tickets now for Theatre Arlington’s final show of their 2018-19 season, Brighton Beach Memoirs. This Neil Simon classic, appropriate for kids ages 13 and up, has all the makings of your big summer crush.
For more family fun, don't miss Arlington's red, white and blue Independence Day celebrations on July 3 and 4.
Getting Around Downtown
Don’t let construction on Abram St. get you down. There’s still plenty of free street parking and the garage at 101 Center. Download Waze for free and see real-time traffic, find optimal routes, and avoid road closures. Or skip parking altogether and hail Via Arlington ride share for only $3, Uber, or Lyft.
About Downtown Arlington
Designated by the State of Texas as the Arlington Cultural District, Downtown Arlington blends a unique mix of activities, sights, tastes and sounds that attract visitors and locals alike. Within its less than a two-mile radius, Downtown is home to a top tier public research university, prolific visual and performing artists and arts institutions, live entertainment, exciting NCAA and professional athletics, one-of-a-kind dining and retail, and a supportive business climate. Subscribe to our weekly e-newsletter, follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, and tag us with @DTArlington.