Authentically Arlington / Cultural Arts / Entertainment / Events / Kids / Learning
Oct 21, 2019
Celebrate Dia de los Muertos with the Arlington Public Library on Nov. 2
Celebrate Día de los Muertos at a free festival with the Arlington Public Library and Paso a Paso on Saturday, November 2 from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. in Downtown Arlington.
Día de los Muertos is a Mexican holiday honoring family and friends who have passed on. The entire community is invited to celebrate their loved ones through art, live performances, family activities, and more.
Events will take place in the Downtown Library, City Council Chambers and Community Room, and outdoor Plaza. Free parking is available at 101 Center and throughout Downtown. No registration is required for this free event.
With roots in Aztec festivals and Spanish Catholic holy days, Día de los Muertos is celebrated today as a festive, lively remembrance of family and friends. Everyone, no matter their cultural background, is invited to celebrate and remember their loved ones on Día de los Muertos.
From live music performances to food trucks to a movie screening, families will find fun ways to participate all day long! Don’t miss award-winning author and illustrator Juana Martinez-Neal’s free workshop at the Library, or free Kona Ice cones provided by the Arlington Police Department’s Amigos en Azul.
Here's the day's schedule:
- 9 a.m.: Costume parade around the Library and Plaza
- 10 a.m.: Guest speaker welcome & introduction to tradition of Día de los Muertos (Plaza)
- 10:00 a.m.-4 p.m.: Vendor booths open (Plaza)
- 10:30 a.m.: Storytime (Library)
- 11:00 a.m.-4 p.m.: Mariachi performances (Plaza)
- 11:30 a.m.: Workshop with author and illustrator Juana Martinez-Neal (Library)
- 12:00 p.m.: Costume Contest announcement (Plaza)
- 11:30 – 2 p.m.: Food trucks (Plaza)
- 1:00-3 p.m.: Kona Ice truck provided by Amigos en Azul (Plaza)
- 1:00-3 p.m.: Crafts, face painting, community art (Library)
- 4 p.m.: Mariachi Award Presentation (Plaza)
- 5 p.m.: Decorating sugar skull cookies (Plaza)
- 6 p.m.- 8 p.m.: Showing of Disney's Coco (Council Chamber)
As seen in Disney’s Coco, a traditional part of Día de los Muertos is building an ofrenda with pictures or mementos of family and friends. The Library is getting ready for Día de los Muertos with a community ofrenda in the Downtown Library’s lobby. Bring a photo of departed friends and family to add to this community project. Copies of photos, not originals, are recommended.
This story by Allison Denny, Arlington Public Library, was originally posted October 17, 2019 on MyArlingtonTX, City of Arlington.