Here are the anticipated lane closures and traffic impact for the coming weeks on and along Abram Street in Downtown Arlington. Closures and detours are subject to changes due to weather and schedule. Any new information since the last update will be indicated in bold.
Abram Street between Pecan and Center
- The outside lanes of eastbound and westbound Abram Street between Pecan and Center streets, which is the area between City Hall and the Levitt Pavilion, will be closed to traffic through August 2018.
- Temporary fencing has been installed along the north side of Founders Plaza across from City Hall to protect visitors to the Downtown park and the Levitt Pavilion from construction activities. Pedestrians can enter the park from the east side of Center Street or from the southwest corner of the Pecan and Abram streets intersection.
- The sidewalk on Abram Street between Center and Pecan streets will be temporarily closed starting Wednesday, May 9 through September 2018. This sidewalk closure is needed due to the ongoing construction activities on the Abram Street Rebuild project for the south City Hall Plaza area and also for pedestrian safety. Sidewalk detour signs will be installed on Abram Street, Center Street and Mesquite Street to direct pedestrian traffic from Abram Street to the north side of City Hall between the new George W. Hawkes Downtown Library and City Hall.
- The existing metal accessibility ramp access to the south side of City Hall will remain open until the new accessibility ramp on the east side of City Hall is installed.
Abram Street between Oak Street and Cooper Street
- The outside lanes of Abram Street between Oak and Cooper streets have been reopened. Traffic has been moved to these lanes to allow for work on the insides lanes in this section until further notice.
Abram Street between Weeks Avenue and Jeffries Street
- Starting the week of March 25, the eastbound lanes of Abram Street will be closed between Weeks Avenue and Jeffries Street for the installation of sanitary sewer lines. However, two-way traffic will be maintained at all times during construction, which is set to last through June. This section is west of Collins Street.
Getting Around Downtown
Free parking is available throughout Downtown, including in the public lot west of City Hall, in the 101 Center Parking garage, along Front Street, and in the new reverse-angle parking spaces along Abram, Center and Mesquite streets.
Abram Street will be open to two-way traffic throughout its two-year redevelopment. Track #myAbram and visit myAbram.com for the latest information about traffic routing and construction milestones. Download Waze for free and see real-time traffic, find optimal routes and avoid road closures, or for only $3 take Via Arlington and leave your car at home.
Subscribe, Post, Tweet and Tag
Subscribe to Downtown Arlington’s weekly e-newsletter, follow us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram, and tag us with @dtArlington.
Updates provided by the City of Arlington and shared courtesy of DAMC.