Business Improvement District (BID) / News / COVID-19
Jun 26, 2020
As Some Restrictions Resume in Light of COVID-19 Surge, Downtown Businesses Are Urged to Take Advantage of Grant Program
In an effort to contain the resurgence of COVID-19, this week the State of Texas and Tarrant County announced new restrictions on some businesses.
Here in Downtown Arlington, the new executive orders from Governor Abbott will impact bars and restaurants. All bars and similar establishments have been ordered closed state wide and may only remain open for delivery and take-out. Restaurants may remain open for dine-in service, but beginning Monday, June 29, at a capacity not to exceed 50% of total indoor occupancy.
A different Tarrant County executive order, which begins at 6:00 p.m. Friday, June 26, requires face coverings in all Tarrant County businesses (We’ve created a one-page flyer that any Downtown Arlington business can easily print and display. Click here to learn more). In addition, individuals are required to wear masks in areas open to the public where social distancing is not feasible and where it is estimated that 100 people or more are present
Apply Now: Tarrant County Small Business Assistance Grant
Arlington businesses that have been adversely affected by COVID-19 and have fewer than 25 employees may be eligible for assistance through the Tarrant County Small Business Assistance Grant Program.
The Tarrant County Commissioners Court recently allocated $30 million in CARES Act funds to the Small Business Assistance Grant Program, which aims to assist very small businesses with costs associated with business interruptions caused by the public health emergency. The dollar amount of individual grants will be determined by the financial information provided, the number of eligible grant applications received and the funding pool available.
Grants will be up to $10,000 and will be on a reimbursement basis. The application period ends at 6:00 p.m. Tuesday, July 7, 2020.*
Click here read more about grant eligibility requirements and for information on how to apply. Please call the City of Arlington’s Economic Development Department at 817-459-6155 for assistance.
Grant funding is limited to businesses who meet certain criteria, including:
- A small business with 25 or less full time equivalent (FTE) employees
- Located within Tarrant County, outside the City of Fort Worth
- A for-profit business in operation in Tarrant County as of January 1, 2020
- Applications limited to one (1) business per owner(s)
- Business was closed or partially closed due to COVID-19
- Business shows a reduction in net profit or an increased loss from COVID-19
Allowable expenses for grant reimbursement consideration includes:
- Payroll costs for employees
- Contract labor
- Supplier payments
- Rent, lease or mortgage payment (excluding escrow for property taxes) for real property used for business purposes (i.e. storefront or warehouse, excluding personal residence.)
- Rent, lease or purchase payment for business property (e.g., delivery vehicle, food truck, kitchen equipment, technology, payment and communications systems and equipment)
- New or expanded technology applications and Wi-Fi services
- Utility payments for business properties (excluding personal residence)
- Cost of critical business operations (raw materials, inventory spoilage, etc. payments)
- PPE and sanitation supplies and equipment
- Interest on other business debt obligations incurred before January 1, 2020 (excluding personal residence)
- Other reimbursable costs of business interruption contemplated by the CARES Act
*Update to deadline announced on July 2, 2020.