The Downtown Arlington Master Plan
Recently released by the City of Arlington in November 2018 after an extensive process gathering community and stakeholder input, the Downtown Arlington Masterplan provides a guide to Downtown’s development.
The City of Arlington Downtown Master Plan establishes a strategic framework and specific action items to guide the next generation of development of Downtown Arlington. Arlington is The Arlington Dream City and Downtown is the ideal place for those seeking opportunity to build their individual American Dream. This Plan builds on the substantial public and private investment in Downtown in the last several years.
The City and its partners leverage a broad base of stakeholder input to inform the Plan. By leading a series of outreach activities with Downtown residents, businesses, developers, landowners, neighborhood associations, faith-and-community based organizations, and arts and cultural groups, the team was able to heed calls for a wide range of new public amenities, including increased culinary and retail options, more office and housing choice, green spaces, and cultural events.
Goals and Strategies
The Arlington Downtown Master Plan seeks to mobilize this comprehensive vision through several key goals:
- Attract more people downtown to live, work, socialize, and recreate.
- Establish the city center as a local and regional destination with a distinct identity.
- Ensure a robust, resilient economy in Downtwon and its surrounding districts.
- Foster a diversity of housing types at a range of price points.
- Develop a critical mass of activity to support existing businesses and residents and attract new entrepreneurs and residents.
- Activate streets, open spaces, and parks to ensure a safe, vibrant, and liveable environment.
- Strengthen the area as an entertainment destination and encourage and promote Downtown’s arts, culture, and music scene.
- Support civic and community oriented uses and programs, including a distinct public art program.
- Create a diverse community that welcomes all residents, employees, students and visitors.
For a more indepth look at the plan, you can find the full PDF below.