BID IMPROVEMENT GRANTS
Downtown Arlington grows every year with exciting new businesses that attract more and more visitors, patrons and tourists. To further this momentum, Downtown Arlington offers a funding initiative aimed at improving downtown’s visual appeal. Through this initiative, we work with property owners to make downtown an even more vibrant destination together.
- Property owner (or representative) submits brief description of project scope to the Downtown Arlington Management Corporation (DAMC) to determine if project meets the general intent of the program.
- Upon invitation, the property owner (or representative) submits Downtown ArlingtonBID Improvement Grant Application to the DAMC with required materials and description of requested improvements and/or scope of work.
- Property owner (or representative) presents project at next available Downtown Arlington BID Grants Committee meeting and answers committee member questions for project plans.
- Upon project approval, the DAMC will prepare a Grant Agreement to be executed by the applicant, at which time improvements may begin. The DAMC cannot pay for any work that has been completed prior to execution of the Grant Agreement. Improvements must begin within three months of executing the Grant Agreement or applicant may forfeit grant funds.
- Once improvements are complete, DAMC staff will schedule an onsite visit to ensure that all work was completed per the approved scope of work. Upon successful review, the applicant will provide associated invoices and evidence that all bills for improvements were paid in full, and provide all related permits required for the project.
- DAMC staff will disburse grant funds within 30 days of receipt of all required documentation.
- Geographic Area: Projects must be located within the boundaries of the Downtown Arlington Business Improvement District.
- Project Review: Projects must be reviewed, and approved, by the DAMC BID Committee prior to the start of construction in order to be eligible for funds.
- Business Improvement District (BID): Property associated with the project or applicant must be taxable commercial property within the Downtown Arlington BID and current in payments.
- Frequency: Property owners are encouraged to submit applications as they arise, as funds are distributed on a first come, first serve basis. The Downtown Arlington Management Corporation may decide to restrict grant funding to one project per property owner each year.
Improvements such as (but not exclusively limited to) building façade enhancements, awnings, painting, landscape elements, signage, accessibility improvements, public art, murals and decorative lighting are eligible for reimbursement subject to approval by the DAMC. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure all improvements comply with local, state, and federal codes and regulations.
- Grant Amount: The DAMC will approve matching grants of 50% of the total project starting at $500 up to $5,000 per project.
- Disbursement of Funding: Funding will be released upon project completion, walkthrough by DAMC staff, and when DAMC has received all necessary supporting documentation, including necessary permits.
- Project Signage: Applicant must post signage on the property while project is under construction indicating work is being done as a part of the Destination Downtown Grant Program. Sign will be provided by DAMC and should be returned to DAMC upon competition of construction activities.
Downtown Arlington Management Corporation reserves the right to:
- Reject, discontinue, modify, or withhold any and all applications or grant payments.
- Announce all grant commitments publicly.
- Use before and after photography of your project to market the program.
Grant Giving Cycle –
Downtown Arlington BID Improvement Grants Program applications are accepted at any time in the fiscal year. Funding is distributed on a first come, first serve basis. Applications received after all funding is distributed are encouraged to resubmit their application at the beginning of the next Downtown Arlington fiscal year.
Questions and completed materials should be submitted to:
BID Services and Communications Manager: Downtown Arlington