Arlington College opened in September 1895 as a private school with 75 students on a site near the present UTA Hereford Student Center. In 1967, with the college’s eighth name change, it became known as the University of Texas at Arlington. Ransom Hall, built under the affiliation of Grubbs Vocational College, was completed in 1919 as the first administration building. It housed most of the school’s academic classes, as well as the library and auditorium. Preston Hall was originally built as a science hall by North Texas Agriculture College in 1928. Both Preston and Ransom Halls have Romanesque Revival detailing.